Food for the body – Mango Clafouti in 4 steps
If you say it with a French accent, Clafouti sounds very exotic.However it is a simple elegant dessert that you can put together in 4 easy steps. Clafouti is a rustic dessert which is basically a rich batter poured over fruit and baked golden brown. Add some powdered sugar, a fancy plate and a sprig of mint and you look like a kitchen diva! You can use any fruit in season too.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons rum ( or fruit brandy to match the fruit you are using)
- 2 to 3 firm but ripe mangoes or 2 small tins Mango , with the syrup drained.Alternatively, use cherries, pears
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Fresh cream or vanilla ice cream to serve.
Step 1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 10 by 3 by 1 1⁄2-inch round baking dish and sprinkle the bottom and sides with 1 tablespoon of the granulated sugar.
Step 2. Beat the eggs and the 1⁄3 cup of granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. On low speed, mix in the flour, cream, vanilla extract, lemon zest, salt, and whatever liquor you are using
Step 3. Slice fruit and arrange the fruit as nicely as you can in a single layer, in the baking dish. Pour the batter over the mango and bake until the top is golden brown and the custard is firm, 35 to 40 minutes. It will be quite brown but and it should not be jiggly in the middle.
Step 4. Serve warm or at room temperature, sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar, and Vanilla Ice cream or fresh cream ( cream beaten with a little bit of sugar till it holds it’s shape – do not over beat or you will end up with butter , that is not a bad thing but it this case it wont help your Clafouti plating!)